Elixir or Ruby? What is better for you in 2021?
Elixir programming language is an excellent choice for programmers when they need scalability, high performance, and productivity in their work. Elixir is exceptional in building web applications and IoT projects.
Elixir runs on BEAM, a virtual machine of Erlang, which is well-known for running low-latency, distributed, and fault-tolerant systems, as well as being used successfully in web development and embedded applications.
Why elixir is better and preferred over Ruby by many companies?
- Elixir is a functional programming language in comparison to Ruby which is an object-oriented programming language. The concurrency in Elixir lets the user access super-fast and concurrent testing with almost no effect on the hardware devices. Whereas in Ruby, the testing part is very slow and intensive to hardware.
- Speed of Development:
- Using beam virtual machines, there is a consistent development experience for the company on any device/machine. As the projects get bigger and grow, a typical web application in Ruby becomes difficult to manage and get it running, whereas an Elixir machine would be very simple to start up.
- The codebase in elixir is very predictable, which means that the data transformations and application interfaces are very much predictable and much easier to work with. It saves a lot of development time.
- Elixir provides very powerful built-in features, like caching, background processing, and process monitoring, which reduces the effort of the developers and saves a lot of time in development.
- Why is a functional language, like elixir, better than an object-oriented language, like Ruby?
- Functional programming languages simplify the code to a great extent and makes it easier to be read by another coder also.
- A programmer doesn’t need to keep track of the state of their code. Everything is pure function and there are no reference errors in the code, which is a big headache.
- The biggest advantage of using Elixir is that it has pattern matching, a feature Elixir incorporated from Erlang. This feature makes the code expressive, elegant, and easier to read for everybody.
- More Safety, Less-bugs: Elixir, a dynamically typed language, contains built-in type-safety and guards, as well as pattern matching, which drastically lowers bugs. This results in fewer compile errors and the bugs are also easily found because of the compiler. In Ruby, the bugs are hidden and create problems when they are clicked on particularly.
- Elixir is cheaper than Ruby: Applications built on Ruby takes up a lot of space on the servers because it is single-threaded. Whereas, Elixir can handle a huge number of requests per instance because of its concurrent nature and compilation. This lowers the memory utilization for the server and saves huge costs for the organizations.
- Elixir is able to achieve more while requiring less hardware, because of its concurrent nature it can handle thousands of requests at the same time. Whereas, requests have to wait in a queue in Ruby.
- Most companies are focusing on large-scale, high-volume applications which are scalable with their long-term objectives. Elixir serves the purpose for them very efficiently.
– Suparil K Bhatt